Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Michael Keaton


Let's get this out of the way: I do not have a crush on Michael Keaton. Okay, maybe I do, but it's just a small crush.

Keaton is the ultimate actor. I would put him up against any of the big guns.

Let me show you what I mean.

(NOTE: I have nothing against the following actors. I just need to use some real names to prove my point.)

Russell Crowe - I loved Russell in The Insider. Not so much in Gladiator. Keaton could've pulled off both of those characters without a hitch. Russell, on the other hand, would probably have a problem doing Mr. Mom or Beetle Juice.

Tom Hanks - Tom rocks! He can do romantic comedy (Sleepless in Seattle), drama (Philadelphia), comedy (Big) and even adventure (The Da Vinci Code). Keaton does romantic comedy (Speechless), drama (Clean & Sober), comedy (The Dream Team) and even adventure (Batman). The one thing that Hanks lacks is the Bad Guy. Even when he is a 'bad guy' (You've Got Mail, The Ladykillers) he's charming and likeable.

Keaton, on the other hand, was just plain evil in Pacific Heights and Desperate Measures.

Kevin Spacey - I love Kevin. He can sing (Beyond the Sea). He can do drama (American Beauty). He can do comedy (The Ref). He can be the bad guy (Se7en).

I don't know if Spacey could've pulled off Dogberry in Much Ado About Nothing like Keaton.

And while Keaton hasn't done any roles singing, I know he can. (One of his first roles was on Mary Tyler Moore's variety show with David Letterman. Dave will show clips from it everytime Keaton comes on his show.)

My point is, this is a guy that won the National Society of Film Critics Awards in 1989 for both Beetle Juice and Clean & Sober.

Now that's a range.

Other Reasons He Belongs in the Hall of Fame:


He was Batman!
He's a Steelers fan!
He has kissed Kim Basinger, Nicole Kidman and Michelle Pfeiffer!
He was on the Simpsons.



Reasons He Should Be Excluded:
Herbie: Fully Loaded (One of the only Keaton films I haven't seen)

No comments: