Monday, November 21, 2005

Christopher Walken

As a general rule, most Stephen King novel-turned-movies are crap. Sure, there are some exceptions: Misery, Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, but for every one of those, there is a Lawnmower Man, Sleepwalkers and Children of the Corn 8.

The Dead Zone, however, was a better movie than it was a book. And the main reason for that was the guy who played Johnny Smith.

Fast-forward a few years.

Like most adolescent boys, I loved James Bond films. In 1985 A View to a Kill came out, and naturally, I went to see it. (mmmmmmmm...Tanya Roberts)

It was not all that great, as I recall, but I did like the guy who played Max Zorin. Hey wait a second, that's Johnny Smith from The Dead Zone.

I am, of course, talking about Christopher Walken.



Walken, plain and simple, rocks!

Reasons why he should be in the Hall of Fame:

  1. He's been married to the same woman for 26 years. (A real feat in Hollywood.)
  2. Batman Returns
  3. The Deer Hunter (Oscar for best Supporting Actor)
  4. Wayne's World 2
  5. Pulp Fiction (with fellow Hall of Famer Bruce Willis)
  6. Last Man Standing (ditto)
  7. Headless Horseman in Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow.
  8. Fatboy Slim's music video.
  9. "Cowbell" sketch on SNL.

(I will overlook him being in the America's Sweethearts with Julia Roberts because it also had Catherine Zeta-Jones and future Hall of Famers John Cusack, Seth Green and Hank Azaria.)

1 comment:

Guy Hall said...

Pulled off the classic from mean and scary, to quietly hilarious.

Guy Hall (that's my name!) I think just for that, I HAVE to be inducted!